How are aneurysms treated?

Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
Vascular Surgery
The majority of aneurysms–70 to 80 percent–can be treated with minimally invasive techniques such as stenting. Many people can go home the day after surgery with a stent. Previously, treatment might involve major surgery, involving a hospital stay of one to two weeks.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What is endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?
Oak Hill HospitalOak Hill Hospital
Endovascular aneurysm repair is a less invasive way than open surgery to repair an aneurysm in the b...
When do I need surgery for an aneurysm?
Dr. Mark J. Russo, MDDr. Mark J. Russo, MD
Surgery is recommended in order to prevent an aortic catastrophes, including aortic rupture or aorti...
How will my doctor decide if I need aortic surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
There are cases where surgery is necessary, but this is determined on an individual basis. The size ...