What happens during endovascular surgery?

Dr. Mark J. Russo, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeon

An endovascular stent graft repair is a treatment for aneurysms of the descending (thoracic and abdominal) aorta. It is similar to the approach used for a cardiac catheterization of the coronary arteries. This procedure requires only small incisions in the groin. Then the surgeon inserts a catheter through the femoral artery in the groin and with the use of x-ray guidance and specially-designed instruments, the aneurysm can be repaired from inside the aorta by inserting a tube, called a stent-graft. This is possible because the tube, or stent graft, is delivered through the catheter in a collapsed state and then expanded at the site of the aneurysm.

The tube replaces and reinforces the diseased aortic wall, ensuring continuity of blood flow while preventing further expansion of the aorta, aortic rupture, and/or aortic dissection.

The potential benefits of the procedure include greatly reduced risk, a shorter hospital stay, and a more rapid recovery.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
What is the treatment for an aortic aneurysm?
Dr. William J. Quinones Baldrich, MDDr. William J. Quinones Baldrich, MD
Management of patients with aortic aneurysms in all instances involves control of risk factors. Ciga...
When do I need surgery for an aneurysm?
Life Line ScreeningLife Line Screening
Once an aneurysm reaches 5 to 6 cm in diameter, the risk of rupture is very high. If rupture occurs,...
What can I expect after fenestrated aortic aneurysm repair?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
After fenestrated aortic aneurysm repairs, patients can come home several days sooner than in the st...