What happens during endovascular surgery?

Dr. Mark J. Russo, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeon

An endovascular stent graft repair is a treatment for aneurysms of the descending (thoracic and abdominal) aorta. It is similar to the approach used for a cardiac catheterization of the coronary arteries. This procedure requires only small incisions in the groin. Then the surgeon inserts a catheter through the femoral artery in the groin and with the use of x-ray guidance and specially-designed instruments, the aneurysm can be repaired from inside the aorta by inserting a tube, called a stent-graft. This is possible because the tube, or stent graft, is delivered through the catheter in a collapsed state and then expanded at the site of the aneurysm.

The tube replaces and reinforces the diseased aortic wall, ensuring continuity of blood flow while preventing further expansion of the aorta, aortic rupture, and/or aortic dissection.

The potential benefits of the procedure include greatly reduced risk, a shorter hospital stay, and a more rapid recovery.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
How are aneurysms treated?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
The majority of aneurysms–70 to 80 percent–can be treated with minimally invasive techniques such as...
How long can I delay scheduling surgery for an aneurysm?
Matthew R. Reynolds, DOMatthew R. Reynolds, DO
In this video, Matthew Reynolds, DO from Largo Medical Center explains the different factors that in...
What is a less-invasive way of treating a thoraco-abdominal aneurysm?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Treating aneurysms of the thoracic and abdominal aorta using a less invasive endovascular approach, ...