How can chronic inflammation lead to aortic aneurysms?

Stephen R. Hazelrigg, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Inflammation in the wall of the artery can ultimately weaken it, causing the artery to stretch or expand. This weakened and stretched condition is called vasculitis, which is an inflammatory disease in a vessel.  There are many causes of vasculitis, including some autoimmune and infectious diseases. Inflammatory aneurysms are particularly dangerous and difficult to treat. Almost all of them should be evaluated for surgical correction.

Continue Learning about Aneurysms

Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
Aneurysms: Deadly but Preventable
We rely on our arteries to carry oxygen-rich blood to all the organs, muscles and tissues of the body. Every beat of the heart sends more blood throug...
Why do I need surgery for an aneurysm if I feel okay?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Aneurysms are often discovered incidentally during a medical test performed for an unrelated reason....
What happens during endovascular surgery?
Dr. Mark J. Russo, MDDr. Mark J. Russo, MD
An endovascular stent graft repair is a treatment for aneurysms of the descending (thoracic and abdo...
How should I prepare for an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You can prepare for an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR, also called "stent grafting") by doin...