Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?

In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating room. We now realize that many children need less sedation when calm, assured and confident parents help them through the stress of a procedure or hospitalization. In spite of parents' reassurances, however, some children still may require medicine to calm them before surgery. This medication may be given by mouth, injection or rectal suppository. The time before surgery that such premedication is given will vary. The type of medicine used, if any, will be determined by the anesthesiologist during the preoperative visit. 

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What are the advantages of conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Oftentimes, sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- a semi-conscious state that allows patients ...
What should I expect after receiving conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
After receiving conscious sedation you will be recovered by nursing staff until you are alert and or...
What is an anesthetic?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
An anesthetic is a drug or other substance that causes a loss of feeling or awareness. Local anesthe...
What is conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Conscious sedation is a type of sedation used to help patients feel relaxed enough to get through a ...