Who should use lidocaine?

Your doctor may recommend lidocaine if you are going in for a medical procedure that would cause pain to the skin or tissue. In this case, you would probably use a prescription strength form of lidocaine. You can use over-the-counter lidocaine if you feel discomfort from sunburn, insect bites, minor scratches and scrapes or from poisonous plants like poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. If you are unsure as to whether or not it is safe to treat your injury with lidocaine, consult a doctor or pharmacist.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What should I expect after receiving conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
After receiving conscious sedation you will be recovered by nursing staff until you are alert and or...
How does a combined spinal-epidural block work?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
A combined spinal-epidural block during labor and delivery has the benefits of pain relief from both...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...