What are the symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal?

John Preston, PsyD
If benzodiazepines are being taken on a regular basis, the body develops a tolerance for the medication. When this happens, typically the drugs continue to work to reduce anxiety. The problem is that, when there is tolerance, if you abruptly stop the medication there can be withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms usually include nervousness, agitation, and difficulty falling asleep. On occasion, withdrawal can result in seizures. This needs to be taken very seriously. If you have been taking a benzodiazepine on a daily basis for more than six weeks, and especially if the dose is moderate to high, withdrawal reactions are a very real risk. You should never abruptly stop taking the medication without first consulting with your doctor. It is also a good idea to be especially careful to monitor your supply of the medications so that refills can be requested in a timely fashion. Many people find it helpful to keep at least a two-day supply on hand in the event that it takes longer than usual for a prescription to be refilled.
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner (The New Harbinger Loving Someone Series)

Maintaining a relationship is hard enough without the added challenges of your partner’s bipolar disorder symptoms. Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder offers information and step-by-step advice...

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What questions should I ask before I receive conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Here are a few questions that you may want to ask prior to receiving sedation analgesia (conscious s...
Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...
Does topical lidocaine interact with any other medications?
If you are taking fusidic acid, idelalisib, tizanidine, or conivaptan, lidocaine can lead to side ef...
What is topical lidocaine?
Lidocaine is a local anesthetic (pain-reliever) available in a skin patch (Lidoderm) that helps cont...