What should I avoid while using lidocaine?

Make sure your doctor is aware of all medications you are on while using lidocaine. You should avoid medications that can have serious interactions. Avoid chewing on food and gum while your mouth is numb. Because you cannot feel pain, you may not notice biting your tongue or cheek until the numbing effect wears off. If using an over-the-counter topical treatment you are administering yourself, follow the instructions and do not use it too often or for too long.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...
What questions should I ask before I receive conscious sedation?
Here are a few questions that you may want to ask prior to receiving sedation analgesia (conscious s...
Does topical lidocaine interact with any other medications?
If you are taking fusidic acid, idelalisib, tizanidine, or conivaptan, lidocaine can lead to side ef...
What is conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Conscious sedation is a type of sedation used to help patients feel relaxed enough to get through a ...