What should I avoid while using lidocaine?

Make sure your doctor is aware of all medications you are on while using lidocaine. You should avoid medications that can have serious interactions. Avoid chewing on food and gum while your mouth is numb. Because you cannot feel pain, you may not notice biting your tongue or cheek until the numbing effect wears off. If using an over-the-counter topical treatment you are administering yourself, follow the instructions and do not use it too often or for too long.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What is an anesthetic?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
An anesthetic is a drug or other substance that causes a loss of feeling or awareness. Local anesthe...
How will I be monitored during sedation analgesia (conscious sedation)?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During conscious sedation your vital signs will be monitored closely and frequently. These vital sig...
What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
The risks and side effects of an epidural include infection at the site of the needle and headache. ...
How does a combined spinal-epidural block work?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
A combined spinal-epidural block during labor and delivery has the benefits of pain relief from both...