What is the lidocaine patch for pain?

Juan P. Villablanca, MD
Neuroradiology
The lidocaine patch for pain is a patch that contains an anesthetic medicine that slowly enters your body when the patch is applied directly to your skin. It is the most common type of pain patch. As your skin absorbs the lidocaine, the medicine numbs the area and decreases pain. If the pain is coming from deep inside your body, the lidocaine patch may not be as effective as an anesthetic medicine that is injected right into the problem area.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What animal studies have been done to test the effects of anesthetics?
SmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research InitiativeSmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research Initiative
"In one of the earliest studies of anesthetic neurodegeneration in rodents, researchers demonstrated...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
What is topical lidocaine?
Lidocaine is a local anesthetic (pain-reliever) available in a skin patch (Lidoderm) that helps cont...
How will I be monitored during sedation analgesia (conscious sedation)?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During conscious sedation your vital signs will be monitored closely and frequently. These vital sig...