What should I know before using topical lidocaine?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have heart conduction disorder (AV block) or impaired liver function, lidocaine may not be a good option for you.

Lidocaine may not be a good option for you if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, note that lidocaine is passed into breast milk and thus may not be a good option for you.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What animal studies have been done to test the effects of anesthetics?
SmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research InitiativeSmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research Initiative
"In one of the earliest studies of anesthetic neurodegeneration in rodents, researchers demonstrated...
Is sedation analgesia (conscious sedation) safe?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
When given appropriately, sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- which induces a semi-conscious...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
What is conscious sedation?
Once referred to as "twilight sleep," the term "conscious sedation" (more appropriately called "seda...