What is tetracaine?

Tetracaine is a medication that's used to cause numbness (loss of feeling) in various parts of the body before certain medical procedures. This type of medication, called a local anesthetic, is available in topical form (cream, gel or ointment) that's applied to the skin. Tetracaine works by blocking nerve impulses in the tissue to which it's applied. Tetracaine is always applied by a healthcare professional in a hospital or clinic, so you will probably not have to worry about dosage information or taking this medication yourself. Tetracaine is the generic name of the active drug in several different brand-name products. Talk to your doctor if you have questions about using tetracaine.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...
How do topical anesthetics relieve itchy skin?
Topical anesthetics are medications that help soothe itchy or irritated skin. They work by numbing t...
Does topical lidocaine have any side effects?
Side effects may include redness, swelling, itching, or red or purple spots where the patch is appli...
What questions should I ask before I receive conscious sedation?
Here are a few questions that you may want to ask prior to receiving sedation analgesia (conscious s...