What is an articaine and epinephrine injection?

Articaine and epinephrine are used together as a dental anesthetic. They are injected, in various proportions, before dental surgery in order to diminish pain. Articaine is the primary anesthetic; it acts by increasing the threshold required for pain nerves to transmit an impulse. Epinephrine acts as a vasoconstrictor. This drug is available by prescription under a variety of different names, including Articadent and Septocaine.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...
What animal studies have been done to test the effects of anesthetics?
SmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research InitiativeSmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research Initiative
"In one of the earliest studies of anesthetic neurodegeneration in rodents, researchers demonstrated...
What should I expect after receiving conscious sedation?
If you have received minimal sedation analgesia (conscious sedation) only, you may be able to go hom...
What medications interact with benzodiazepines?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
When taking benzodiazepines, any other type of medication that causes drowsiness or impaired alertne...