What is antipyrine, benzocaine and glycerin?

Antipyrine, benzocaine and glycerin is used to treat symptoms related to infection of the middle ear. These symptoms include: congestion, pain and swelling. Antipyrine is a pain reliever that helps reduce inflammation and pain. Benzocaine is a topical anesthetic that helps relieve pain. Glycerin helps soften earwax so that it can be flushed out of the ear more easily. This medication will not treat the infection itself. Brand names for antipyrine benzocaine and glycerin include: Auralgan, Aurodex, Auroto, A/B Otic, Benzotic, Dec-agesic A.B. and Dolotic. It is available in solution form.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What questions should I ask before I receive conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Here are a few questions that you may want to ask prior to receiving sedation analgesia (conscious s...
How do topical anesthetics relieve itchy skin?
Topical anesthetics are medications that help soothe itchy or irritated skin. They work by numbing t...
Is sedation analgesia (conscious sedation) safe?
When given appropriately, sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- which induces a semi-conscious...
What is conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Conscious sedation is a type of sedation used to help patients feel relaxed enough to get through a ...