What is an anesthetic?

An anesthetic is a drug or other substance that causes a loss of feeling or awareness. Local anesthetics cause a loss of feeling in one small area of the body. Regional anesthetics cause a loss of feeling in a part of the body, such as an arm or leg. General anesthetics cause a loss of feeling and a complete loss of awareness that feels like a very deep sleep.

This answer is based on source information from The National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What should I know before using topical lidocaine?
If you have heart conduction disorder (AV block) or impaired liver function, lidocaine may not be a ...
What is conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Once referred to as "twilight sleep," the term "conscious sedation" (more appropriately called "seda...
Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...
What are side effects of benzodiazepines?
Dr. Gayatri Devi, MDDr. Gayatri Devi, MD
Benzodiazepines sedate your brain, so your thinking may not be as sharp, and your multitasking skill...