What is an anesthetic?

An anesthetic is a drug or other substance that causes a loss of feeling or awareness. Local anesthetics cause a loss of feeling in one small area of the body. Regional anesthetics cause a loss of feeling in a part of the body, such as an arm or leg. General anesthetics cause a loss of feeling and a complete loss of awareness that feels like a very deep sleep.

This answer is based on source information from The National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

How will I be monitored during sedation analgesia (conscious sedation)?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During conscious sedation your vital signs will be monitored closely and frequently. These vital sig...
How can doctors measure consciousness during general anesthesia?
An active brain during general anesthesia is particularly difficult to monitor. Doctors might suspec...
What should I expect after receiving conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
After receiving conscious sedation you will be recovered by nursing staff until you are alert and or...
What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
The risks and side effects of an epidural include infection at the site of the needle and headache. ...