Can I use lidocaine patches if I am taking bupivacaine?

Lidocaine in a patch is a topical anesthetic intended for application to the skin by the patient for pain relief. Bupivacaine is an injectable anesthetic intended for administration only by healthcare professionals for procedures that require local anesthesia. If a doctor wants to give you bupivacaine (brand name Marcaine) for a procedure while you are wearing a lidocaine patch, be sure to tell the doctor that you have the patch on your skin.

You should have one doctor or healthcare provider manage all pain medications so you have the best outcomes. Combining medications can affect outcomes, so make sure to tell your doctor about all medications that you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription, nutritional supplement and vitamins.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

what should i know before using topical lidocaine ?
If you have heart conduction disorder (AV block) or impaired liver function, lidocaine may not be a ...
will my child be given a sedative before surgery ?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...
how is conscious sedation administered ?
Sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- a semi-conscious state that allows patients to be comfor...
how does a combined spinal-epidural block work ?
A combined spinal-epidural block during labor and delivery has the benefits of pain relief from both...