Can I use lidocaine patches if I am taking bupivacaine?

Lidocaine in a patch is a topical anesthetic intended for application to the skin by the patient for pain relief. Bupivacaine is an injectable anesthetic intended for administration only by healthcare professionals for procedures that require local anesthesia. If a doctor wants to give you bupivacaine (brand name Marcaine) for a procedure while you are wearing a lidocaine patch, be sure to tell the doctor that you have the patch on your skin.

You should have one doctor or healthcare provider manage all pain medications so you have the best outcomes. Combining medications can affect outcomes, so make sure to tell your doctor about all medications that you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription, nutritional supplement and vitamins.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What is topical lidocaine?
Lidocaine is a local anesthetic (pain-reliever) available in a skin patch (Lidoderm) that helps cont...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
What are the advantages of conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Oftentimes, sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- a semi-conscious state that allows patients ...
What are side effects of benzodiazepines?
Dr. Gayatri Devi, MDDr. Gayatri Devi, MD
Benzodiazepines sedate your brain, so your thinking may not be as sharp, and your multitasking skill...