How do I use antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin dehydrated?

Antipyrine/benzocaine/glycerin dehydrated is for external use in the ear canal only. To use this medication:
  • Warm the bottle in your hands for a few minutes. This helps to keep you from getting dizzy when cold drops are placed in your ear.
  • Lie down or tilt your head with the ear opening facing up.
  • Pull your ear lobe up and back. This straightens your ear canal.
  • Place enough drops in your ear canal to fill it. Try not to touch the tip of the bottle to anything (this will prevent the sterile solution from being contaminated with germs).
  • Allow a few minutes for the solution to percolate into your ear.
  • You can place a clean cotton plug into your ear canal to prevent the solution from leaking back out.

Follow your doctor's instructions as to dosage. Usually, you can use it about every one to two hours until the pain is relieved. If you have questions, call your doctor.

Do not use the medication if it is brown-colored or has solid particles in it.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What animal studies have been done to test the effects of anesthetics?
SmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research InitiativeSmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research Initiative
"In one of the earliest studies of anesthetic neurodegeneration in rodents, researchers demonstrated...
What questions should I ask before I receive conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Here are a few questions that you may want to ask prior to receiving sedation analgesia (conscious s...
How does a combined spinal-epidural block work?
A combined spinal-epidural block during labor and delivery has the benefits of pain relief from both...
What is topical lidocaine?
Lidocaine is a local anesthetic (pain-reliever) available in a skin patch (Lidoderm) that helps cont...