Is there a generic version of lidocaine?

There are numerous brand names and generic options for both the injected and topical forms of lidocaine. Injections will have the active ingredient of lidocaine hydrocholoride. This is the name of the generic version of this drug, while the brand names include Xylocaine and Duocaine. For topical options, lidocaine brand names include Xylocaine and Anestacon. Both of these are available in generic forms by the name of lidocaine hydrochloride. Your doctor will administer these forms. Over-the-counter lidocaine is available through various brands, such as Solarcaine. Some of these over-the-counter medications have generic equivalents. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you can use a generic version of your lidocaine treatment.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

How will I be monitored during sedation analgesia (conscious sedation)?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During conscious sedation your vital signs will be monitored closely and frequently. These vital sig...
What are the advantages of conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Oftentimes, sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- a semi-conscious state that allows patients ...
How do topical anesthetics relieve itchy skin?
Topical anesthetics are medications that help soothe itchy or irritated skin. They work by numbing t...
What should I expect after receiving conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
After receiving conscious sedation you will be recovered by nursing staff until you are alert and or...