Who should not use Americaine?

People with methemoglobinemia, a blood cell disorder, should not use Americaine. If you are allergic to any ingredient in benzocaine ointment, you should not use Americaine. Pregnant and breast-feeding women should consult their doctor before starting to use Americaine.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

How can doctors measure consciousness during general anesthesia?
An active brain during general anesthesia is particularly difficult to monitor. Doctors might suspec...
What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
The more frequently seen risks and side effects of an epidural (which actually are not that common) ...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...