What should I avoid while using topical benzocaine?

When you first begin using benzocaine, you should not drive or operate machinery. If you have had an allergic reaction to any other anesthetic, like procaine or butacaine, you should not use benzocaine. Medications with "caine" as a suffix are all rather similar; so an allergy to one, may mean an allergy to all. To avoid self injury, you should not use the numbed area until the feeling comes back again. If it was used in your mouth, do not chew solid foods until you can feel your mouth again. If it was an area of skin, do not damage it.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

How is conscious sedation administered?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- a semi-conscious state that allows patients to be comfor...
Is sedation analgesia (conscious sedation) safe?
When given appropriately, sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- which induces a semi-conscious...
Does topical lidocaine interact with any other medications?
If you are taking fusidic acid, idelalisib, tizanidine, or conivaptan, lidocaine can lead to side ef...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...