What should I avoid while using topical benzocaine?

When you first begin using benzocaine, you should not drive or operate machinery. If you have had an allergic reaction to any other anesthetic, like procaine or butacaine, you should not use benzocaine. Medications with "caine" as a suffix are all rather similar; so an allergy to one, may mean an allergy to all. To avoid self injury, you should not use the numbed area until the feeling comes back again. If it was used in your mouth, do not chew solid foods until you can feel your mouth again. If it was an area of skin, do not damage it.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What are the advantages of conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Oftentimes, sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- a semi-conscious state that allows patients ...
What medications interact with benzodiazepines?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
When taking benzodiazepines, any other type of medication that causes drowsiness or impaired alertne...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
How is conscious sedation administered?
Sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- a semi-conscious state that allows patients to be comfor...