What should I know about bupivacaine hydrochloride (HCI) and epinephrine?

Before receiving a bupivacaine hydrochloride (HCI) and epinephrine injection, you should know that local anesthetics (numbing agents) such as this can cause temporary swelling or puffiness in the injection area. You should know that this anesthetic's effects might last as long as seven hours. During this time it is important not to chew solid foods or test the numb area by probing or biting, as you may injure your tongue, lips, or the inside of your cheek.

Rare reactions can occur after this injection, including confusion, convulsions, slowed or stopped breathing, and cardiovascular problems. You should also know that this solution contains a vasoconstrictor, which contracts blood vessels and makes it harder for the heart to pump blood through them. If you have high blood pressure (hypertension), heart disease, or diabetes, be sure to speak with your doctor before receiving a bupivacaine HCI and epinephrine injection.

Finally, you should know that this injection is not intended for anyone who is sensitive or allergic to it, or to any similar local anesthetic. In addition, bupivacaine HCI and epinephrine injection may interact with certain other drugs to cause severe, long-term hypertension.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What questions should I ask before I receive conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Here are a few questions that you may want to ask prior to receiving sedation analgesia (conscious s...
How can doctors measure consciousness during general anesthesia?
An active brain during general anesthesia is particularly difficult to monitor. Doctors might suspec...
What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
The more frequently seen risks and side effects of an epidural (which actually are not that common) ...
How do topical anesthetics relieve itchy skin?
Topical anesthetics are medications that help soothe itchy or irritated skin. They work by numbing t...