Is benzocaine an anesthetic (numbing agent) used mainly in the mouth?

There are benzocaine products that can be applied topically (applied to skin) or for dental use. Benzocaine is considered an oral anesthetic because it numbs the mouth by dulling the nerve endings in painful areas. This product helps to relieve gum and lip pain caused by dentures, braces, canker sores, cold sores, fever blisters, mouth irritation or injury and teething in children.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What is an anesthetic?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
An anesthetic is a drug or other substance that causes a loss of feeling or awareness. Local anesthe...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
What should I expect after receiving conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
After receiving conscious sedation you will be recovered by nursing staff until you are alert and or...
What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
The risks and side effects of an epidural include infection at the site of the needle and headache. ...