Is benzocaine an anesthetic?

Benzocaine is considered an oral anesthetic. It is considered an anesthetic because it numbs the mouth by dulling the nerve endings in the affected area. This product helps to relieve the pain caused by dentures, braces, canker sore, cold sores, fever blister, mouth irritation or injury, and painful gums in teething children.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What are side effects of benzodiazepines?
Dr. Gayatri Devi, MDDr. Gayatri Devi, MD
Benzodiazepines sedate your brain, so your thinking may not be as sharp, and your multitasking skill...
Will my child be given a sedative before surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
In the past, virtually every child received an injected sedative before being taken to the operating...
What is an anesthetic?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
An anesthetic is a drug or other substance that causes a loss of feeling or awareness. Local anesthe...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...