How do I use intranasal lidocaine?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that your head tips back. Slowly drip 0.5 to 1 mL of 4 percent lidocaine (about 10 to 20 drops) into the nostril on the side of the headache. Repeat 2 minutes later if the headache hasn't gone away. Lidocaine nasal solution is generally well tolerated, but you may notice numbness of the nasal membranes.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

How does a combined spinal-epidural block work?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
A combined spinal-epidural block during labor and delivery has the benefits of pain relief from both...
What should I expect after receiving conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
After receiving conscious sedation you will be recovered by nursing staff until you are alert and or...
What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
The risks and side effects of an epidural include infection at the site of the needle and headache. ...
How will I be monitored during sedation analgesia (conscious sedation)?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During conscious sedation your vital signs will be monitored closely and frequently. These vital sig...