How should I use lidocaine?

If you are receiving lidocaine before a medical procedure, your doctor will either inject the medication or apply the topical form to the affected area. Over-the-counter medications should be used carefully. Apply as the directions advise you to and avoid areas where your skin is broken or inflamed. Do not get lidocaine in your eyes and do not ingest it. Use only as directed; i.e., only every four to six hours, if that is what the directions instruct you to do.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What is topical lidocaine?
Lidocaine is a local anesthetic (pain-reliever) available in a skin patch (Lidoderm) that helps cont...
Is sedation analgesia (conscious sedation) safe?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
When given appropriately, sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- which induces a semi-conscious...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
The risks and side effects of an epidural include infection at the site of the needle and headache. ...