How should I use lidocaine?

If you are receiving lidocaine before a medical procedure, your doctor will either inject the medication or apply the topical form to the affected area. Over-the-counter medications should be used carefully. Apply as the directions advise you to and avoid areas where your skin is broken or inflamed. Do not get lidocaine in your eyes and do not ingest it. Use only as directed; i.e., only every four to six hours, if that is what the directions instruct you to do.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What are side effects of benzodiazepines?
Dr. Gayatri Devi, MDDr. Gayatri Devi, MD
Benzodiazepines sedate your brain, so your thinking may not be as sharp, and your multitasking skill...
What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
The risks and side effects of an epidural include infection at the site of the needle and headache. ...
What should I know before using topical lidocaine?
If you have heart conduction disorder (AV block) or impaired liver function, lidocaine may not be a ...
Does topical lidocaine have any side effects?
Side effects may include redness, swelling, itching, or red or purple spots where the patch is appli...