How are patients kept unaware of what is happening during surgery?

In order to keep patients pain-free, and unaware of what is happening throughout the procedure, anesthesiologists use a combination of intravenous drugs and inhaled gases to block muscle activity, pain signals and memory of the event. The exact cocktail depends on how long the patient needs to be asleep, the type of procedure being performed and the overall condition of the patient including their physical attributes and health.

After general anesthesia is administered, electronic devices continually monitor and regulate breathing, oxygen, carbon dioxide, heart rate, body temperature and blood pressure. All the while, the anesthesiologist can make adjustments as needed.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What should I expect after receiving conscious sedation?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
After receiving conscious sedation you will be recovered by nursing staff until you are alert and or...
What is an anesthetic?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
An anesthetic is a drug or other substance that causes a loss of feeling or awareness. Local anesthe...
What are the advantages of conscious sedation?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Oftentimes, sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- a semi-conscious state that allows patients ...
What questions should I ask before I receive conscious sedation?
Here are a few questions that you may want to ask prior to receiving sedation analgesia (conscious s...