How is conscious sedation administered?

Sedation analgesia or conscious sedation -- a semi-conscious state that allows patients to be comfortable during certain surgical or medical procedures -- is usually administered through an intravenous catheter, or "I.V.," to relax you and to minimize any discomfort that you might experience. This is often used in combination with an injection of a local anesthetic, or "numbing medicine," at the site of surgery.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

How will I be monitored during sedation analgesia (conscious sedation)?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During conscious sedation your vital signs will be monitored closely and frequently. These vital sig...
When is the developing brain most vulnerable to anesthetics?
SmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research InitiativeSmartTots-Pediatric Anesthesia Research Initiative
"The greatest vulnerability of the developing brain to anesthetics occurs at the time of rapid synap...
How do topical anesthetics relieve itchy skin?
Topical anesthetics are medications that help soothe itchy or irritated skin. They work by numbing t...
What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
The risks and side effects of an epidural include infection at the site of the needle and headache. ...