How do topical anesthetics relieve itchy skin?

Topical anesthetics are medications that help soothe itchy or irritated skin. They work by numbing the nerve endings in the skin so that you do not feel the pain or itchiness. Most topical anesthetics are available without prescription in a variety of different forms. These include: patches, foams, liquids, swabs, dressings, pads, solutions, creams, gels, kits, sprays, ointments and lotions.

Continue Learning about Anesthetic Agent

What are the risks and side effects of an epidural?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
The risks and side effects of an epidural include infection at the site of the needle and headache. ...
How do I use intranasal lidocaine?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To use intranasal lidocaine, lie down and extend your head over the edge of the bed, so that you...
What medications interact with benzodiazepines?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
When taking benzodiazepines, any other type of medication that causes drowsiness or impaired alertne...
How will I be monitored during sedation analgesia (conscious sedation)?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
During conscious sedation your vital signs will be monitored closely and frequently. These vital sig...