Why should I meet with my child's anesthesiologist?

Regardless of the type of anesthesia used, you and your child should meet with the anesthesiologist. (Hopefully, your hospital has a pediatric anesthesiologist who will be caring for your child.) Schedule this appointment a day or so before surgery, or earlier during the same day if it’s an outpatient procedure. The two of you should have a thorough chat about your child’s medical history and any special concerns.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What is an anesthetic room?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The anesthetic room is a room in the hospital where people get medicine called anesthesia before an ...
How is general anesthesia administered?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
General anesthesia is administered through an IV.
How does the doctor know what type of anesthesia to use?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
The type and length of surgery will determine the method of anesthesia needed. The choices of anesth...
What is the goal of giving general anesthesia?
Dr. Michael Roizen, Chief Wellness Officer for the Cleveland Clinic, explains the goal of giving pat...