Why should I meet with my child's anesthesiologist?

Regardless of the type of anesthesia used, you and your child should meet with the anesthesiologist. (Hopefully, your hospital has a pediatric anesthesiologist who will be caring for your child.) Schedule this appointment a day or so before surgery, or earlier during the same day if it’s an outpatient procedure. The two of you should have a thorough chat about your child’s medical history and any special concerns.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

How is general anesthesia administered?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
General anesthesia is administered through an IV.
Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Both regional and general anesthesia can be given safely during pregnancy. It is important to have a...
What job does an anesthesiologist perform during surgery?
During surgery, your anesthesiologist is responsible for managing vital life functions, including br...
How is an anesthesia monitor used?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
Bispectral index monitoring(BIS) is used to assess the level of consciousness, depth of anesthesia. ...