Why should I meet with my child's anesthesiologist?

Regardless of the type of anesthesia used, you and your child should meet with the anesthesiologist. (Hopefully, your hospital has a pediatric anesthesiologist who will be caring for your child.) Schedule this appointment a day or so before surgery, or earlier during the same day if it’s an outpatient procedure. The two of you should have a thorough chat about your child’s medical history and any special concerns.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

Can herbal medicines impact anesthesia?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Herbal and dietary products have chemical properties just as medications do. Anything we ingest (eat...
What are some common side effects of anesthesia after surgery?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Common side effects of anesthesia after surgery include drowsiness, nausea and vomiting. Most people...
What is the difference between an anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist?
An anesthesiologist is a physician who specializes in anesthesia care, and a nurse anesthetist is a ...
Who should deliver anesthesia during surgery in a doctor's office?
Ideally, anesthesia should be delivered or supervised by an anesthesiologist who, as a physician, is...