Why should I meet with my child's anesthesiologist?

Regardless of the type of anesthesia used, you and your child should meet with the anesthesiologist. (Hopefully, your hospital has a pediatric anesthesiologist who will be caring for your child.) Schedule this appointment a day or so before surgery, or earlier during the same day if it’s an outpatient procedure. The two of you should have a thorough chat about your child’s medical history and any special concerns.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

how prevalent is anesthesia awareness ?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
According to recent reports, the incidence of anesthesia awareness is between 1-2 per 1,000 patients...
can i choose the anesthesiologist for my surgery ?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
You may have a choice as to who your anesthesiologist will be. Your surgeon may refer you to an anes...
what is the goal of giving general anesthesia ?
Dr. Michael Roizen, Chief Wellness Officer for the Cleveland Clinic, explains the goal of giving pat...
how will my child be given anesthesia before surgery ?
Anesthetic agents can be started in several ways. Most commonly in adults, anesthesia is started by ...