Who should deliver anesthesia during surgery in a doctor's office?

Ideally, anesthesia should be delivered or supervised by an anesthesiologist who, as a physician, is medically trained to evaluate your health needs, decide whether you are a good candidate for surgery in an office setting and then determine what medications are best for you before, during and after surgery. At a minimum, a person extensively trained in the delivery of anesthesia should be involved. If that person is not a physician, then a physician should directly supervise your anesthesia care. You will have the opportunity to talk with your anesthesia provider on the day of your surgery. 

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What are natural treatments for anesthesia side effects after surgery?
Dr. Toni VarelaDr. Toni Varela
Many anesthetics are metabolized by the liver, so it's generally a good idea to support the liver wi...
What type of anesthesia do I need for a breast lift?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
I prefer general anesthesia for my breast lift patients. General anesthesia by a board certified ane...
What is the goal of giving general anesthesia?
Dr. Michael Roizen, Chief Wellness Officer for the Cleveland Clinic, explains the goal of giving pat...
What are the anesthesia options for a C-section?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
During a C-section, regional anesthesia involves the administration of a spinal or epidural anesthet...