When is general anesthesia used in dental procedures?

Complex dental treatments may require drugs that can induce "deep sedation," causing a loss of feeling and reducing consciousness in order to relieve both pain and anxiety. On occasion, patients undergo "general anesthesia," in which drugs cause a temporary loss of consciousness. Deep sedation and general anesthesia may be recommended in certain procedures for children or others who have severe anxiety or who have difficulty controlling their movements.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

How is an anesthesia monitor used?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
Bispectral index monitoring(BIS) is used to assess the level of consciousness, depth of anesthesia. ...
What are natural treatments for anesthesia side effects after surgery?
Dr. Toni VarelaDr. Toni Varela
Many anesthetics are metabolized by the liver, so it's generally a good idea to support the liver wi...
What is the goal of giving general anesthesia?
Dr. Michael Roizen, Chief Wellness Officer for the Cleveland Clinic, explains the goal of giving pat...
Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Both regional and general anesthesia can be given safely during pregnancy. It is important to have a...