What type of education and training does an anesthesiologist have?

Anesthesiologists have four years of medical school and an additional four of advanced training in anesthesiology. In addition, some anesthesiologists elect to complete a fellowship and spend an additional year of specialty training in a specific area like pain management, cardiac anesthesia, pediatric anesthesia, neuroanesthesia, obstetric anesthesia or critical care medicine.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Both regional and general anesthesia can be given safely during pregnancy. It is important to have a...
How can anesthesia affect my child after surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Anesthesia affects each child differently. After surgery, your child may have nausea (feel like ...
What kind of anesthesia will I get for thyroid surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
When you have thyroid surgery, you are given the option of either general anesthesia or local anesth...
Can I choose the anesthesiologist for my surgery?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
If you are scheduled to have surgery, it's likely that your surgeon will determine where you will be...