What should I ask my anesthesiologist prior to my surgery?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Be sure you understand what to expect about the anesthesia that you’ll be given prior to your surgery.  Some people experience significant post-operative side effects and other problems resulting from their anesthesia.

Ask, “What kind of drugs will I be given?”, “How will the drugs be administrated?” and “What are the risks with this type of anesthesia?”

If you haven’t met your anesthesiologist during a separate, pre-surgery interview, insist on meeting him or her immediately before your surgery—and before he puts you to sleep!

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

Can a person's heart stop beating with general anesthesia?
Dr. Anita GuptaDr. Anita Gupta
This is possible, though very rare. When practicing, physician anesthesiologists always have your sa...
What are possible side effects of anesthesia in children?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Although anesthetics can provide complete pain relief and loss of consciousness during an operation,...
What are natural treatments for anesthesia side effects after surgery?
Dr. Toni VarelaDr. Toni Varela
Many anesthetics are metabolized by the liver, so it's generally a good idea to support the liver wi...
What kind of anesthesia will I get for thyroid surgery?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Most thyroid operations are performed under general anesthesia, which means you will be totally asle...