What should I ask my anesthesiologist prior to my surgery?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Be sure you understand what to expect about the anesthesia that you’ll be given prior to your surgery.  Some people experience significant post-operative side effects and other problems resulting from their anesthesia.

Ask, “What kind of drugs will I be given?”, “How will the drugs be administrated?” and “What are the risks with this type of anesthesia?”

If you haven’t met your anesthesiologist during a separate, pre-surgery interview, insist on meeting him or her immediately before your surgery—and before he puts you to sleep!

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What types of anesthesia are used in office-based surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
The same anesthetic techniques used in hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers are used in office-...
Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?
Both regional and general anesthesia can be given safely during pregnancy. It is important to have a...
What type of anesthesia is used during a SmartLipo procedure?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Depending on the amount of fat to remove and the number of areas of the body it can very from local ...
How does the doctor know what type of anesthesia to use?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
The type and length of surgery will determine the method of anesthesia needed. The choices of anesth...