What should I ask my anesthesiologist prior to my surgery?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Be sure you understand what to expect about the anesthesia that you’ll be given prior to your surgery.  Some people experience significant post-operative side effects and other problems resulting from their anesthesia.

Ask, “What kind of drugs will I be given?”, “How will the drugs be administrated?” and “What are the risks with this type of anesthesia?”

If you haven’t met your anesthesiologist during a separate, pre-surgery interview, insist on meeting him or her immediately before your surgery—and before he puts you to sleep!

The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What is the role of an anesthesiologist in plastic surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Next to your plastic surgeon, the most important member of the medical team will be the anesthesiolo...
What are possible side effects of anesthesia in children?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Although anesthetics can provide complete pain relief and loss of consciousness during an operation,...
Why might my child have regional anesthesia during surgery?
It has become possible to provide pain relief to specific areas of the body rather than give general...
What is anesthesia awareness?
Yael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MDYael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MD
Anesthesia awareness is when a patient wakes up or moves while under anesthesia, during a surgical p...