What is the role of an anesthesiologist after surgery?

After surgery, your anesthesiologist continues to be responsible for your care in the recovery room, often called the post-anesthesia care unit. Here, the anesthesiologist directs specially trained staff members who monitor your condition and vital signs as the effects of the anesthesia wear off. Your anesthesiologist will determine when you are able to leave the recovery room.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What do I need to tell the anesthesiologist?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
It is very important to share your health history, past surgical experiences, especially previous ex...
What kind of anesthesia will I get for thyroid surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
When you have thyroid surgery, you are given the option of either general anesthesia or local anesth...
Will I need general anesthesia for cataract surgery?
Wayne BizerWayne Bizer
One of the greatest and safest aspects of cataract surgery is that it is painless and is performed w...
What type of anesthesia do I need for a breast lift?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
I prefer general anesthesia for my breast lift patients. General anesthesia by a board certified ane...