What is ambulatory anesthesia?

Ambulatory anesthesia is given to a patient in an ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery facility. Ambulatory anesthesia is tailored to meet the needs of ambulatory surgery so you can go home soon after your operation. Short-acting anesthetic drugs and specialized anesthetic techniques as well as care specifically focused on your needs are used to make your experience safe and pleasant. In general, if you are in reasonably good health, you are a candidate for ambulatory anesthesia and surgery. Because each patient is unique, your anesthesiologist will carefully evaluate you and your health status to determine if you should undergo ambulatory anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What is general anesthesia?
Dr. Anita GuptaDr. Anita Gupta
Anesthesiologists use a combination of medications that make the patient unconscious. General anesth...
What is the goal of giving general anesthesia?
Dr. Michael Roizen, Chief Wellness Officer for the Cleveland Clinic, explains the goal of giving pat...
Where is the anesthesiologist during an operation?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
During an operation, the anesthesiologist stays in the operating room with the person all through th...
Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Both regional and general anesthesia can be given safely during pregnancy. It is important to have a...