What is the role of an anesthesiologist in plastic surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Next to your plastic surgeon, the most important member of the medical team will be the anesthesiologist. These individuals are also MDs. While there may be others on the medical team who are capable of administering anesthesia, the additional education, training, and experience of a board-certified anesthesiologist give the patient enormous protection. Of all the things that can go wrong in any surgery, anesthesia problems can be the most life threatening. The combination and type of anesthesia can be different for each patient, based on the specific type of procedure or procedures being done, age, and overall health.

The surgeon and anesthesiologist work in tandem to assure that there are no reactions to the anesthesia and that the patient is neither under- or overmedicated. This can be very tricky business, and many times adjustments must be made on the spot, especially if it appears there may be a problem or if the surgery lasts longer than predicted. These adjustments need the expertise and skill that only experience brings. A well-qualified anesthesiologist should be able to prevent "recall" of the surgery and to reduce incidence of postoperative nausea and/or vomiting with new medications such as Zofran.
The Beverly Hills Shape: The Truth About Plastic Surgery

Dr. Stuart Linder, Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, specializes in body sculpting procedures in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. Dr. Linder has trained in both general...

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Both regional and general anesthesia can be given safely during pregnancy. It is important to have a...
How can anesthesia affect my child after surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Anesthesia affects each child differently. After surgery, your child may have nausea (feel like ...
How prevalent is anesthesia awareness?
Yael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MDYael S. Varnado-Rhodes, MD
Thankfully, the prevalence of anesthesia awareness is not very high; generally, less than 1% of the ...
How risky is anesthesia?
Due to advances in patient safety, the risks of anesthesia are very low. Over the past 25 years, ane...