How is an anesthesia monitor used?

Bispectral index monitoring(BIS) is used to assess the level of consciousness, depth of anesthesia. The BIS monitor electrodes is often placed on the forehead and monitors brain activity during surgery. It assists with medication and anesthesia dosing to provide comfort, lack of awareness and relaxation.  

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What type of education and training does an anesthesiologist have?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Anesthesiologists have four years of medical school and an additional four of advanced training in a...
What do I need to tell the anesthesiologist?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
It is very important to share your health history, past surgical experiences, especially previous ex...
Can herbal medicines impact anesthesia?
Herbal and dietary products have chemical properties just as medications do. Anything we ingest (eat...
Why might my child have regional anesthesia during surgery?
It has become possible to provide pain relief to specific areas of the body rather than give general...