How can anesthesia affect my child after surgery?

Anesthesia affects each child differently. After surgery, your child may have nausea (feel like throwing up), vomit, cry, be agitated, have trouble with his balance (fall easily), or forget how to cope with difficult situations and act younger than usual. Please ask for help when your child needs to get out of bed or use the bathroom.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What are possible side effects of anesthesia in children?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Although anesthetics can provide complete pain relief and loss of consciousness during an operation,...
Can I choose the anesthesiologist for my surgery?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
If you are scheduled to have surgery, it's likely that your surgeon will determine where you will be...
How can I help prevent having anesthesia awareness?
Here are some activities that can help you stay asleep during surgery.Meet your anesthesiologist. If...
How does the doctor know what type of anesthesia to use?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
The type and length of surgery will determine the method of anesthesia needed. The choices of anesth...