Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?

Both regional and general anesthesia can be given safely during pregnancy. It is important to have a multidisciplinary team of an obstetrician, surgeon, anesthesiologist and perinatologist working together to optimize your care.

Certain conditions may mean that your clinical team will select certain strategies (e.g., regional or general anesthesia, appropriate drugs, position you in a tilt, place compression stockings on your legs) to keep you safe, which will in turn keep your baby safe.

The team will likely monitor the baby with fetal heart tones before surgery and after surgery. Monitoring during surgery will depend on various factors, including the risks and benefits in your situation. This will be a decision of your clinical team and you should certainly feel comfortable asking the team so you understand the decision.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

How will my child be given anesthesia before surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Anesthetic agents can be started in several ways. Most commonly in adults, anesthesia is started by ...
More Answers
What type of anesthesia is used for a breast reduction?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
We use general anesthesia for our breast reduction surgeries. This is an invasive surgery which requ...
More Answers
What are possible side effects of anesthesia in children?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Although anesthetics can provide complete pain relief and loss of consciousness during an operation,...
More Answers
What do I need to tell the anesthesiologist?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
It is very important to share your health history, past surgical experiences, especially previous ex...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.