Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?

Both regional and general anesthesia can be given safely during pregnancy. It is important to have a multidisciplinary team of an obstetrician, surgeon, anesthesiologist and perinatologist working together to optimize your care.

Certain conditions may mean that your clinical team will select certain strategies (e.g., regional or general anesthesia, appropriate drugs, position you in a tilt, place compression stockings on your legs) to keep you safe, which will in turn keep your baby safe.

The team will likely monitor the baby with fetal heart tones before surgery and after surgery. Monitoring during surgery will depend on various factors, including the risks and benefits in your situation. This will be a decision of your clinical team and you should certainly feel comfortable asking the team so you understand the decision.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

Will I need general anesthesia for cataract surgery?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
General anesthesia is not required for cataract surgery but each patient is different. The anesthesi...
What is ambulatory anesthesia?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Ambulatory anesthesia is given to a patient in an ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery facility. Ambul...
Is anesthesia safe for older adults?
Nina S. Radcliff, MDNina S. Radcliff, MD
It is estimated that in the United States, 15 million surgeries per year are performed on patients w...
Can herbal medicines impact anesthesia?
Herbal and dietary products have chemical properties just as medications do. Anything we ingest (eat...