What type of anesthesia is used during a SmartLipo procedure?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Depending on the amount of fat to remove and the number of areas of the body it can very from local to general anesthesia. Small areas such  as the hips may be isolated with local anesthesia. Including the lower abdomen may include intravenous sedation or general anesthesia depending on patient size.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

Is anesthesia safe for older adults?
Nina S. Radcliff, MDNina S. Radcliff, MD
It is estimated that in the United States, 15 million surgeries per year are performed on patients w...
What do I need to tell the anesthesiologist?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
It is very important to share your health history, past surgical experiences, especially previous ex...
When is general anesthesia used in dental procedures?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Complex dental treatments may require drugs that can induce "deep sedation," causing a loss of feeli...
Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Both regional and general anesthesia can be given safely during pregnancy. It is important to have a...