Why should I eat clams if I have an iron deficiency?

Clams provide tons of iron and are a top source of potassium and vitamin B12. Eat clams once a week as an alternative to another protein. Choose fresh or canned since they both contain the same amount of iron. A 3-ounce serving size (about 10 small clams) provides up to 24 mg of iron and contains only 126 calories.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Anemia

Easy Ways to Identify an Iron Deficiency
Watch Dr. Mehmet Oz explain the importance of healthy iron levels, how our bodies get iron from food and how anemia can occur when iron levels get too...
What is the relation between anemia and hemoglobin?
William D. Knopf, MDWilliam D. Knopf, MD
Anemia occurs when you have less than the normal number of red blood cells in your blood or when the...
What is pernicious anemia?
Pernicious anemia occurs when the body cannot make red blood cells because it lacks adequate amounts...
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia