Why should I eat clams if I have an iron deficiency?

Clams provide tons of iron and are a top source of potassium and vitamin B12. Eat clams once a week as an alternative to another protein. Choose fresh or canned since they both contain the same amount of iron. A 3-ounce serving size (about 10 small clams) provides up to 24 mg of iron and contains only 126 calories.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Anemia

The Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Anemia
If you have rheumatoid arthritis (RA), you’re all too familiar with the symptoms of this inflammatory disease in which the immune system attacks and d...
What is the relation between anemia and hemoglobin?
William D. Knopf, MDWilliam D. Knopf, MD
Anemia occurs when you have less than the normal number of red blood cells in your blood or when the...
Can anemia affect the outcome of heart surgery?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Anemia is now confirmed as a risk factor for illness and even death following cardiac surgery, acc...
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia