Why should I be careful about coffee or tea if I have an iron deficiency?

The tannins found in tea and coffee interfere with iron absorption. Try to avoid drinking these beverages for a few hours before a meal that's high in iron, especially when you're trying to build up your body's stores.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Anemia

Number One Sign of Iron Deficiency
Number One Sign of Iron Deficiency
Fatigue is the most common symptom of iron-deficiency. Watch Dr. Mehmet Oz explain why some people ignore this symptom, the difference between tiredne...
Can Iron-Deficiency Anemia Impact Your Mental Health?
Iron-deficiency anemia occurs when your body doesn't have enough iron. As a result, it’s unable to produce adequate amounts of hemoglobin—a protein in...
My Story: Nikkie and IDA
My Story: Nikkie and IDA
Iron-deficiency anemia, or IDA, is when you have unhealthy blood cells due to not having enough iron present in the body. In this video, Nikkie shares...
Can a person be anemic and have too much iron at the same time?
A person can be anemic and have too much iron at the same time because there are a number of differe...