Why should I be careful about coffee or tea if I have an iron deficiency?

The tannins found in tea and coffee interfere with iron absorption. Try to avoid drinking these beverages for a few hours before a meal that's high in iron, especially when you're trying to build up your body's stores.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Anemia

5 Ways to Safely Exercise With Anemia
5 Ways to Safely Exercise With Anemia
When someone is anemic, the body doesn’t have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen to the rest of the body—making it challenging to exercise...
What is vitamin B12 deficiency anemia?
In vitamin B12 deficiency anemia, the body's red blood cells are larger than normal and lower in...
What should I know about pernicious anemia if I have diabetes?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Tingling, numbness, and pain in the feet often signal peripheral neuropathy, which can be caused by ...
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia