Why should I be careful about coffee or tea if I have an iron deficiency?

The tannins found in tea and coffee interfere with iron absorption. Try to avoid drinking these beverages for a few hours before a meal that's high in iron, especially when you're trying to build up your body's stores.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Anemia

5 Ways to Safely Exercise With Anemia
5 Ways to Safely Exercise With Anemia
When someone is anemic, the body doesn’t have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen to the rest of the body—making it challenging to exercise...
Is a Babesia infection dangerous?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Babesia can develop into a type of anemia that can cause jaundice and dark urine. In some people the...
What is anemia?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Anemia is a condition in which the number of red blood cells is below normal. Anemia is the most com...
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia