What are symptoms of pernicious anemia?

Pernicious anemia, like any anemia, can present itself with generalized weakness, fatigue, shortness of breath, chest pain, headaches or exercise intolerance. Because the cause of pernicious anemia involves a deficiency of vitamin B12, in advanced cases some people may experience some of the symptoms caused by low B12 levels. These symptoms can include extremity numbness and tingling, balance issues or dizziness, and sometimes memory deficiencies. These can only be associated with the anemia if lab tests are consistent and other possible causes are ruled out.

Continue Learning about Anemia

Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Many people experience fatigue at some point, that profound physical and mental exhaustion that leaves you weary, sleepy, unmotivated and lacking stam...
What is vitamin B12 deficiency anemia?
In vitamin B12 deficiency anemia, the body's red blood cells are larger than normal and lower in...
What causes hyperbilirubinemia?
Hyperbilirubinemia is a result of an elevated level of bilirubin in the blood. Bilirubin is a by-pro...
6 Iron-Rich Foods to Boost Your Energy
6 Iron-Rich Foods to Boost Your Energy6 Iron-Rich Foods to Boost Your Energy6 Iron-Rich Foods to Boost Your Energy6 Iron-Rich Foods to Boost Your Energy
Changing up your diet may help your iron-deficiency anemia Iron is an essential mineral that we get through the foods we eat. There are two sources of...