What is the relation between anemia and hemoglobin?

William D. Knopf, MD
Anemia occurs when you have less than the normal number of red blood cells in your blood or when the red blood cells in your blood don't have enough hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a protein. It gives the red color to your blood. Its main job is to carry oxygen from your lungs to all parts of your body. If you have anemia, your blood does not carry enough oxygen to all the parts of your body. Without oxygen, your organs and tissues cannot work as well as they should.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Anemia

Number One Sign of Iron Deficiency
Number One Sign of Iron Deficiency
Fatigue is the most common symptom of iron-deficiency. Watch Dr. Mehmet Oz explain why some people ignore this symptom, the difference between tiredne...
What should I know about pernicious anemia if I have diabetes?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Tingling, numbness, and pain in the feet often signal peripheral neuropathy, which can be caused by ...
What is pernicious anemia?
Pernicious anemia occurs when the body cannot make red blood cells because it lacks adequate amounts...
What You Need to Know About Anemia
What You Need to Know About Anemia