Should anemia be treated before elective heart surgery?

Patients with severe anemia have double the mortality of those without anemia. Patients and family doctors are advised to rectify anemic status before heart surgery.

Unlike other recognized risk factors for cardiac surgery patients, such as advanced age and poor kidney function, anemia can be corrected with iron supplementation and medications that stimulate red blood cell production. Unfortunately, to correct anemia we need two to three weeks before the operation, which may be too long for many patients to wait.

Continue Learning about Anemia

Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Many people experience fatigue at some point, that profound physical and mental exhaustion that leaves you weary, sleepy, unmotivated and lacking stam...
Can anemia affect the outcome of heart surgery?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Anemia is now confirmed as a risk factor for illness and even death following cardiac surgery, acc...
7 Powerful Ways to Get Your Energy Back
7 Powerful Ways to Get Your Energy Back7 Powerful Ways to Get Your Energy Back7 Powerful Ways to Get Your Energy Back7 Powerful Ways to Get Your Energy Back
If anemia has worn you out, try these to stay a step ahead.
What You Need to Know About Anemia
What You Need to Know About Anemia