What should I know about pernicious anemia if I have diabetes?

Janis Jibrin, MS, RD
Tingling, numbness, and pain in the feet often signal peripheral neuropathy, which can be caused by a vitamin B12 deficiency. Severe vitamin B12 deficiency is called pernicious anemia because it can cause a serious fall in the red blood cell count as well as nerve damage. Pernicious anemia results from an autoimmune process that prevents the body from absorbing the vitamin. Having type 1 diabetes, usually an autoimmune problem itself, increases your risk of developing pernicious anemia.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Anemia

My Story: Carolyn and IDA
My Story: Carolyn and IDA
Iron deficiency anemia, or IDA, is when you have too few healthy red blood cells due to an iron deficiency. In this video, Carolyn shares her IDA diag...
Can a person be anemic and have too much iron at the same time?
A person can be anemic and have too much iron at the same time because there are a number of differe...
What is Rh disease?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Rh is a protein that’s found on some people’s red blood cells. Rh disease is a dangerous kind of ane...
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia