Is fatigue a symptom of iron deficiency?

Fatigue can be a symptom of iron deficiency because iron deficiency can lead to anemia, which is when your body doesn't have enough red blood cells. These are important cells in carrying oxygen throughout the body, so if you don't have enough of them, this can lead to many symptoms including, but not limited to, weakness, fatigue, lack of stamina, headache, irritability and shortness of breath with exercise. Other signs may include rapid heart beat, brittle fingernails, cracked lips and a sore tongue.

Continue Learning about Anemia

Easy Ways to Identify an Iron Deficiency
Watch Dr. Mehmet Oz explain the importance of healthy iron levels, how our bodies get iron from food and how anemia can occur when iron levels get too...
Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Many people experience fatigue at some point, that profound physical and mental exhaustion that leaves you weary, sleepy, unmotivated and lacking stam...
5 Ways to Safely Exercise With Anemia
5 Ways to Safely Exercise With Anemia
When someone is anemic, the body doesn’t have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen to the rest of the body, making it challenging to exercis...
What is pernicious anemia?
Pernicious anemia occurs when the body cannot make red blood cells because it lacks adequate amounts...