How common is iron deficiency in children?

Toddlers and preschoolers, and adolescent girls who are menstruating are most at risk for iron deficiency. One study found that about 7% of 1- to 2-year-olds showed signs of deficiency. For adolescent girls, who were grouped with women up to age 49, the incidence was 9% to 16%.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Anemia

My Story: Carolyn and IDA
My Story: Carolyn and IDA
Iron deficiency anemia, or IDA, is when you have too few healthy red blood cells due to an iron deficiency. In this video, Carolyn shares her IDA diag...
What should I know about pernicious anemia if I have diabetes?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Tingling, numbness, and pain in the feet often signal peripheral neuropathy, which can be caused by ...
Can a person be anemic and have too much iron at the same time?
A person can be anemic and have too much iron at the same time because there are a number of differe...
What You Need to Know About Anemia
What You Need to Know About Anemia