Can a person be anemic and have too much iron at the same time?

A person can be anemic and have too much iron at the same time because there are a number of different causes of anemia. Only one cause is due to low iron stores or blood loss (which also presents with low iron stores). Sometimes, people who are chronically ill can also have anemia. With this type of anemia they will have excessive iron stores but are not mobilizing adequate amounts of iron.

Yet another cause of anemia is due to inadequate amounts of vitamin B12 or folate. If you are manifesting any signs of anemia please contact your doctor immediately for further evaluation.

Continue Learning about Anemia

Number One Sign of Iron Deficiency
Number One Sign of Iron Deficiency
Fatigue is the most common symptom of iron-deficiency. Watch Dr. Mehmet Oz explain why some people ignore this symptom, the difference between tiredne...
What is the relation between anemia and hemoglobin?
William D. Knopf, MDWilliam D. Knopf, MD
Anemia occurs when you have less than the normal number of red blood cells in your blood or when the...
What should I know about pernicious anemia if I have diabetes?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Tingling, numbness, and pain in the feet often signal peripheral neuropathy, which can be caused by ...
What You Need to Know About Anemia
What You Need to Know About Anemia