Can a person be anemic and have too much iron at the same time?

A person can be anemic and have too much iron at the same time because there are a number of different causes of anemia. Only one cause is due to low iron stores or blood loss (which also presents with low iron stores). Sometimes, people who are chronically ill can also have anemia. With this type of anemia they will have excessive iron stores but are not mobilizing adequate amounts of iron.

Yet another cause of anemia is due to inadequate amounts of vitamin B12 or folate. If you are manifesting any signs of anemia please contact your doctor immediately for further evaluation.

Continue Learning about Anemia

Must-Know Anemia Facts
Must-Know Anemia Facts
Feeling tired? It may not be because you skipped your morning coffee—it could be your body’s way of telling you to eat more iron-rich foods. According...
Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Many people experience fatigue at some point, that profound physical and mental exhaustion that leaves you weary, sleepy, unmotivated and lacking stam...
5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency
5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency
Learn how to spot some of the unusual symptoms that can arise when your iron levels are low. There’s a reason iron is listed as an essential nutrient:...
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia