Can anemia affect the outcome of heart surgery?

Anemia is now confirmed as a risk factor for illness and even death following cardiac surgery, according to a study published in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.

In this study, researchers found that the patients with severe anemia had nearly double the operative mortality rate of patients who did not have severe anemia and were at increased risk for stroke, prolonged mechanical ventilation, and longer stays in the intensive care unit. Further investigation found similar results in patients with moderate anemia.

Continue Learning about Anemia

Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Iron-Deficiency Anemia
Anemia is a condition that occurs where a person does not have enough red blood cells or enough healthy red blood cells. Because red blood cells trans...
What is the relation between anemia and hemoglobin?
William D. Knopf, MDWilliam D. Knopf, MD
Anemia occurs when you have less than the normal number of red blood cells in your blood or when the...
What should I know about pernicious anemia if I have diabetes?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Tingling, numbness, and pain in the feet often signal peripheral neuropathy, which can be caused by ...
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia