Can anemia affect the outcome of heart surgery?

Anemia is now confirmed as a risk factor for illness and even death following cardiac surgery, according to a study published in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.

In this study, researchers found that the patients with severe anemia had nearly double the operative mortality rate of patients who did not have severe anemia and were at increased risk for stroke, prolonged mechanical ventilation, and longer stays in the intensive care unit. Further investigation found similar results in patients with moderate anemia.

Continue Learning about Anemia

My Story: Nikkie and IDA
My Story: Nikkie and IDA
Iron-deficiency anemia, or IDA, is when you have unhealthy blood cells due to not having enough iron present in the body. In this video, Nikkie shares...
What is anemia?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Anemia is a condition in which the number of red blood cells is below normal. Anemia is the most com...
Can a person be anemic and have too much iron at the same time?
A person can be anemic and have too much iron at the same time because there are a number of differe...
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia
Eating Well with Iron Deficiency Anemia