Can anemia affect the outcome of heart surgery?

Anemia is now confirmed as a risk factor for illness and even death following cardiac surgery, according to a study published in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.

In this study, researchers found that the patients with severe anemia had nearly double the operative mortality rate of patients who did not have severe anemia and were at increased risk for stroke, prolonged mechanical ventilation, and longer stays in the intensive care unit. Further investigation found similar results in patients with moderate anemia.

Continue Learning about Anemia

My Story: Julie and IDA
My Story: Julie and IDA
A severe Crohn's flare-up sent Julie to the ER. Crohn's disease was not allowing her body to properly absorb iron, leading to iron-deficiency anemia a...
Easy Ways to Identify an Iron Deficiency
Watch Dr. Mehmet Oz explain the importance of healthy iron levels, how our bodies get iron from food and how anemia can occur when iron levels get too...
My Story: Corrine and IDA
My Story: Corrine and IDA
After moving into a new home, Corrine thought she was exhausted and worn out. Luckily, her healthcare provider was able to diagnose the true culprit—i...
Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Iron-Deficiency Anemia
Anemia is a condition that occurs where a person does not have enough red blood cells or enough healthy red blood cells. Because red blood cells trans...