How does anemia affect women during pregnancy?

Anemia – Lower than normal number of healthy red blood cells

Symptoms :

Feel tired or weakLook paleFeel faintShortness of breath

Treating the underlying cause of the anemia will help restore the number of healthy red blood cells. Women with pregnancy related anemia are helped by taking iron and folic acid supplements. Your doctor will check your iron levels throughout pregnancy to be sure anemia does not happen again.

This answer is based on source information from The U.S Department of Human Services Office on Womens Health.  

Continue Learning about Anemia

Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Is it Fatigue or Do I Have Anemia?
Many people experience fatigue at some point, that profound physical and mental exhaustion that leaves you weary, sleepy, unmotivated and lacking stam...
What is the relation between anemia and hemoglobin?
William D. Knopf, MDWilliam D. Knopf, MD
Anemia occurs when you have less than the normal number of red blood cells in your blood or when the...
Can anemia affect the outcome of heart surgery?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Anemia is now confirmed as a risk factor for illness and even death following cardiac surgery, acc...
5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency
5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency5 Weird Signs of Iron Deficiency
Learn how to spot some of the unusual symptoms that can arise when your iron levels are low. There’s a reason iron is listed as an essential nutrient:...