What are the risks of taking DHEA?

Taking DHEA supplements can be risky and should only be done under the supervision of a doctor. DHEA raises hormone levels in the body, making it especially risky for people with hormone-related conditions. DHEA can impede liver function, interfere with production of insulin, cause or worsen mood disorders, and may increase the risk of developing hormone-related cancers. DHEA may have numerous side effects, ranging from fatigue and headache to blood clots, depression, and irregular heartbeat. Taking DHEA can also impact the ability of the body to produce DHEA naturally.

Continue Learning about Androgen

Can I trust testosterone replacement therapy from online sources?
Testosterone replacement therapy is offered at many websites online. An evaluation of 75 of these we...
What should I know before using testosterone replacement therapy?
Testosterone may cause enlargement of the prostate or make it worse. If you have impaired heart fun...
How does testosterone replacement therapy treat erectile dysfunction?
Erection problems and a reduced sex drive can sometimes be caused by a low testosterone level. Testo...
What is androgen suppression?
Androgen suppression is a treatment to suppress or block the production or action of male hormones. ...